Where you need to be in 2020 if you’re interested in human optimisation
Below are some conferences and events that may be of interest to biohackers, those interested in specific diets including the paleo, ketogenic or carnivore diets, or even just those looking to improve themselves through mindfulness and meditation.
2019 was packed full of great conferences for biohackers, but we’re close to 2020 now, so here are all the announced conferences for 2020 sorted by date. Note that Strive Diary is a reader supported blog, so some of the links below will earn us a commission in line with our affiliate policy.
Table of contents (conferences listed in chronological order)
- The Metabolic Health Summit (Jan, USA)
- Biohacking Congress (Feb, UK)
- Primal Hacker Fire and Ice Retreat ( Feb/March, USA)
- Mindvalley Live (Feb/March, USA)
- Upgrade Labs 7th Annual Biohacking Conference (March, USA)
- Paleo f(x) 2020 (April, USA)
- A Mindful Society 2020 (May, USA)
- The Boulder Carnivore Conference (May, USA)
- KetoCon 2020 (May, USA)
- Biohacker Summit (June, Amsterdam)
- Primal Hacker Boundary Waters Canoe Digital Detox Retreat (June, USA)
- Flowfest 20’ (July, Germany)
- Health Optimisation Summit 2020 (Sep, UK)
- Mindvalley A-Fest Jordan (Oct, Jordan)
The Metabolic Health Summit
- Where: Long Beach, California, USA
- When: 30 Jan – 2 Feb 2020
- Speakers: Dominic D’Agostino, Stephen Phinney, Robb Wolf, Kris Smith, Thomas Seyfried, Jeff Volek, Brianna Stubbs, John Newman, Mary Newport, Chris Palmer, Mark Mattson and more.
- Price: Early bird general admission $421.99 USD
The Metabolic Health Summit centers around the ketogenic diet and metabolic therapies. It includes presentations from world-class physicians, scientists and experts about using the ketogenic diet to treat cancer, cardiovascular issues and more; as well as its applications for performance and longevity. It’s co-organised by Dominic D’Agostino, a well known professor and ketogenic diet expert.
In addition to the Summit, there’s also an attached expo with sponsors including Dry Farm Wines, Quest, Readout and more.
- Where: London, UK
- When: 20 Feb
- Speakers: Tim Gray, Gary Kirwan, Karen Taylor, Greg Potter and more to be announced.
- Price: £220 early bird, £440 “optimal” seating, £820 VIP, £110 student/government/NHS
Biohacking Congress is a conference being held in London which focuses on biotech, healthcare, wellness and digital health.
There are over 20 biohackers and health and science experts slated to speak at the event. Announced speakers include Tim Gray, the founder of the Health Optimisation Summit, and Gary Kirwan, the host of the Biohackers Lab podcast.
The agenda includes a mixture of panels and presentations covering topics like biohacking vs self-improvement, and healthcare in the UK.
In addition to the presentations, Biohacking Congress has a focus on the business side of the biohacking and technology industry. It has a dedicated marketplace and space for new product demos, and it’s part of the Startup World Cup, which will see biotech, medtech and digital health startups compete for funding.
Primal Hacker Fire and Ice 2020 retreat
- Where: Loon Point, Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
- When: 27 Feb – 1 March 2020
- Speakers: Thaddeus Owen, Nicolas Zahasky, Kara Zahasky and Dr. Mike T. Nelson
- Price: $1500 USD
Thaddeus Owen is a well known biohacker and health expert who regularly runs retreats each year. His first retreat for 2020 is the Fire and Ice retreat.
As the name suggests, in this retreat participants will learn the Wim Hoff breath and cold thermogenesis method, “enjoy” cold lake plunges and balance this with sauna and redlight use.
The retreat also includes meals from well known biohacker chef Nicolas Zahasky and seminars from expert speakers including Dr Mike T. Nelson.
Each day is filled with activities including the aforementioned cold and heat exposure, but also yoga, functional exercise, cooking classes, meditation and access to the beautiful surrounding lakes.
- Where: Los Angeles, USA
- When: 29 Feb – 1 March 2020
- Speakers: Vishen Lakhiani, Lisa Nichols, Jim Kwik, Michael Breus and more to be announced
- Price: $645 USD (Guest ticket), $345 USD (Mindvalley students), $995 USD VIP
Mindvalley Academy is an online course platform which teaches about self-improvement, mindset, spirituality and more. It also has interesting content for biohackers including a free biohacking course taught by Dave Asprey, and a memory improvement course taught by Jim Kwik.
Mindvalley Live LA was formerly known as Mindvalley Reunion, and is a two day event held in Los Angeles. It brings some of the teachers from Mindvalley together, as well as some surprise guests, for an intense weekend of self-improvement. The event includes presentations, immersive workshops and the opportunity to socialise with other like-minded individuals.
Upgrade Labs 7th Annual Biohacking Conference
- Where: Beverly Hills, California, USA
- When: 27 – 29 March 2020
- Speakers: Dave Asprey, Dr Joseph Mercola, Amy Purdy, Jennifer Partridge, Dr. Harry Adelson, Jim Kwik, Dr Mark Atkinson and more.
- Price: $1799 general admission, $2999 USD preferred seating, $3999 USD VIP
Bulletproof Coffee’s sister company Upgrade Labs runs an annual biohacking conference with some of the biggest names in the industry. Following on from the success of the 2019 conference, the upcoming 2020 conference has a range of well-respected speakers including Dave Asprey, the founder of Bulletproof 360, Dr. Joseph Mercola and paralympian Amy Purdy.
Last year’s conference saw over 1200 attendees, and some interesting features like a 20 foot “leap of faith” jump and a marching band!
Paleo f(x) 2020
- Where: Austin, Texas, USA
- When: 24 – 26 April 2020
- Speakers: Chris Kresser, Robb Wolf, Dr Sarah Ballantyne, Dr Andy Galpin, Ben Greenfield, Diana Rodgers and more.
- Price: $172 USD (expo), $597 USD (premier), $1477 USD (VIP)
Paleo f(x) is a holistic wellness event bringing some of the biggest names in human optimisation together under one roof.
At the time of writing the schedule for 2020 has not yet been released, but the 2019 schedule included talks on longevity, movement, brain optimisation and biohacks from well known biohackers such as Ben Greenfield.
The 2020 event will also be split into six learning tracks to make it easier to navigate, with the tracks including:
- Paleo 101
- Paleo families
- Anti-aging and longevity
- Paleo medicine
- Health entrepreneurs
The 2020 event also has some new features such as the Health Hacker Lab with the latest biohacking therapies and gadgets for you to try out.
A Mindful Society 2020
- Where: TBA. The 2019 event was held in Toronto, Canada.
- When: 1 – 4 May 2020
- Speakers: TBA. The 2019 event included Thupten Jinpa, Dan Siegel and more
- Price: TBA. 2019 prices were $507.37 CAD (Early bird)
A Mindful Society is a mindfulness conference with academics and industry leaders at the forefront of current mindfulness information. The keynotes for 2019 include Thupten Jinpa, former monk and the Dalai Lama’s principal English translator, and Dan Siegel, clinical professor of psychiatry at UCLA and best selling author of Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation.
The Boulder Carnivore Conference
- Where: Boulder, Colorado, USA
- When: 23 -24 May 2020
- Speakers: TBA. The 2019 event included Shawn Baker, Mikhaila Peterson, Miki Ben-Dor, Peter J. Ballerstedt, George M. Diggs and more.
- Price: TBA. 2019 prices were $125 – $140 USD
For those interested in a plant-free diet, the second annual Boulder Carnivore Conference could be an option to consider.
Last year’s conference included presentations on topics such as how much protein one should consume, defensive chemicals in plants and more. The speakers included appearances by well known carnivore diet proponents including Dr Shawn Baker and Mikhaila Peterson.
- Where: Austin, Texas, USA
- When: 12 – 14 June 2020
- Speakers: TBA. The 2019 event included Dr. Nadir Ali, Cavin Balaster, Dr Ken Berry, Hanna Boethius, Carrie Brown, Dr Colin Champ and much more.
- Price: $159.88 USD (one day ticket), $212.73 USD (three day ticket), $1,046.27 USD (VIP Package)
KetoCon focuses on the cutting edge research and products surrounding the ketogenic diet, including its benefits for those with diabetes, cancer and for those trying to lose weight. There are also plenty of exhibitors at the conference showing all manner of delicious keto snacks and helpful products to make your keto experience more effective.
Biohacker Summit 2020 Amsterdam
- Where: Amsterdam, Netherlands
- When: 5 – 6 June 2020
- Speakers: TBA. 2019’s conference included speaker’s such as Max Lugavere, Teemu Arina, Jaakko Halmetoja, Dr. Olli Sovijärvi, Tunna Milonoff and Riku Rantala from Madventures and more
- Price: Super early bird €197 (available until sold out or 30 June), VIP €970, live stream €97
At the time of writing the 2019 Biohacker Summit has only just wrapped up, so not much has been announced about the 2020 Biohacker Summit yet. Still, judging from 2019’s success, next year’s Summit should be every bit as positive and educational.
The 2019 Biohacker Summit had almost 50 speakers covering topics such as sleep, daily habits, cognitive performance, nootropics and plenty more. Speakers included journalist and author Max Lugavere, and the authors of Biohacker’s Handbook: Teemu Arina, Jaakko Halmetoja and Dr. Olli Sovijärvi.
Just like the 2019 Summit, the 2020 Biohacker Summit also offers the ability to purchase the live stream of the conference separately if you can’t make it in person.
Primal Hacker Boundary Waters Canoe Digital Detox Retreat
- Where: The Point Retreats, Minnesota
- When: 18 – 22 June 2020
- Speakers: Thaddeus Owen, Christa Rymal and Travis Rymal
- Price: $1200 USD
If you’re aching to unplug from your digital devices the Primal Hacker Digital Detox Retreat might be for you.
This small-group retreat is a 4 night / 5 day adventure where you and the group will camp in the wilderness and enjoy nature without digital distractions.
The retreat is joined by experienced nurse Christa Rymal and navigated by Travis Rymal, who has a degree in forestry and is an experienced wilderness ranger.
- Where: Prater Island, Munich
- When: 4 July 2020
- Speakers: TBA. The 2019 event included Dr Jack Kruse, Dr. Dominik Nischwitz, Lars Amend, Dr. Alexander Wunsch and more.
- Price: €147 early bird basic (normally €247), €247 early bird gold (normally €297), €497 early bird VIP (normally €497)
Flowfest 20’ is an event run by Flowgrade, a German Biohacking store, blog and podcast. The event includes presentations from experts on biohacking, nutrition, functional fitness, psychology, neurofeedback and cold therapy to name a few.
The 2019 event’s speakers included Dr Jack Kruse, Dr. Dominik Nischwitz, author Lars Amend and cold thermogenesis expert Kasper van der Meulen to name a few.
Health Optimisation Summit 2020
- Where: TBA. The 2019 event was in London, UK
- When: 12 – 13 September 2020
- Speakers: TBA. The 2019 event featured Dave Asprey, Bob Troia, Dr Scott Sherr, Harry Adelson, Amy Killen, Dr Andrew Hill, Aubrey de Grey, Siim Land and more.
- Price: Super early bird: £399, VIP: £1,199
The Health Optimisation Summit is a meeting place for ideas to improve your health, wellbeing, nutrition, fitness and more. It’s not just about how one particular method or diet can get you healthier.
The 2019 event explored a variety of ideas from over 30 great speakers on topics including psychedelics, meditation, memory improvement, detoxing, diets, sleep, EMF and light to name a few.
Mindvalley A-Fest Jordan
- Where: Jordan
- When: 15 – 18 Oct
- Speakers: TBA. The 2019 A-Fest included presentations from Vishen Lakhiani, Shawn Stevenson, Keith Ferrazzi, Brendan Kane and more.
- Price: From $3,295 to $3,995 USD
A-Fest is Mindvalley Live on steroids. This intensive invite-only experience is limited to 350 – 400 spots, and is aimed at high performers including CEOs, entrepreneurs, authors and artists. Previous attendees have included Dave Asprey, Ben Greenfield, JJ Virgin, Dr. Mark Hyman and Tom Bilyeu.
Each A-Fest has a theme, and the content of the conference is then planned around this. The 2020 A-fest theme is “The Art of Human Connection”.
The 2020 A-Fest is being held in Jordan at the picturesque Dead Sea Marriott Resort & Spa.
Did I miss any events? Let me know below and I’ll add them to the list.