Where you need to be in 2019 and 2020 if you’re interested in human optimisation
Below are some conferences and events that may be of interest to biohackers, those interested in specific diets including the paleo, ketogenic or carnivore diets, or even just those looking to improve themselves through mindfulness and meditation.
Here are all the most relevant conferences and events to watch out for in 2019 and beyond, sorted by date:
Table of contents (conferences listed in chronological order)
- The Metabolic Health Summit (Jan, USA)
- Primal Hacker Fire and Ice Retreat ( Feb/March, USA)
- Mindvalley Live (Feb/March, USA)
- Upgrade Labs 7th Annual Biohacking Conference (March, USA)
- Paleo f(x) 2020 (April, USA)
- A Mindful Society 2020 (May, USA)
- The Boulder Carnivore Conference (May, USA)
- KetoCon 2020 (May, USA)
- Primal Hacker Boundary Waters Canoe Digital Detox Retreat (June, USA)
- Flowfest 20’ (July, Germany)
- Health Optimisation Summit 2020 (Sep, UK)
- Where: Helsinki, Finland
- When: 1 – 2 November 2019
- Speakers: Max Lugavere, Teemu Arina, Jaakko Halmetoja, Dr. Olli Sovijärvi, Tunna Milonoff and Riku Rantala from Madventures and more
- Price: Early bird €247 (available until sold out or 30 June) , regular €497, VIP €997, students €97 (discounts available when buying multiple tickets), live stream €97
The 2019 Biohacker Summit is being held in beautiful Helsinki and promises 40+ speakers covering topics such as sleep, daily habits, cognitive performance, nootropics and plenty more. Some of the announced speakers include journalist and author Max Lugavere, and the authors of Biohacker’s Handbook: Teemu Arina, Jaakko Halmetoja and Dr. Olli Sovijärvi. There will also be book launches, exhibitions and traditional Finnish sauna workshops.
The Biohacker Summit conferences of 2018 were great events for European biohackers, so 2019’s Summit is sure to be a worthwhile event.
Another great feature of this conference is that the live stream is available for purchase separately if you can’t make it in person.
The Wim Hoff Experience
- Where: Sydney
- When: 8 December 2019
- Speakers: Wim Hoff
- Price: €149
Wim Hoff has been on tour around the world in 2019. He runs a number of events from small and intimate to large. The Wim Hoff Experience is a larger style event where he explains his story, the three pillar system and does some breathwork and cold immersion.
For those who don’t know, Wim Hoff is the creator of the Wim Hoff Method, a three pillar system based on cold therapy, breathwork and commitment. Wim has done some incredible things with his system, including insane cold water swims and other medical feats, so his tour is highly sought-after.
The Metabolic Health Summit
- Where: Long Beach, California, USA
- When: 30 Jan – 2 Feb 2020
- Speakers: Dominic D’Agostino, Stephen Phinney, Robb Wolf, Kris Smith, Thomas Seyfried, Jeff Volek, Brianna Stubbs, John Newman, Mary Newport, Chris Palmer, Mark Mattson and more.
- Price: Early bird general admission $421.99 USD
The Metabolic Health Summit centers around the ketogenic diet and metabolic therapies. It includes presentations from world-class physicians, scientists and experts about using the ketogenic diet to treat cancer, cardiovascular issues and more; as well as its applications for performance and longevity. It’s co-organised by Dominic D’Agostino, a well known professor and ketogenic diet expert.
In addition to the Summit, there’s also an attached expo with sponsors including Dry Farm Wines, Quest, Readout and more.
Primal Hacker Fire and Ice 2020 retreat
- Where: Loon Point, Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
- When: 27 Feb – 1 March 2020
- Speakers: Thaddeus Owen, Nicolas Zahasky, Kara Zahasky and Dr. Mike T. Nelson
- Price: $1500 USD
Thaddeus Owen is a well known biohacker and health expert who regularly runs retreats each year. His first retreat for 2020 is the Fire and Ice retreat.
As the name suggests, in this retreat participants will learn the Wim Hoff breath and cold thermogenesis method, “enjoy” cold lake plunges and balance this with sauna and redlight use.
The retreat also includes meals from well known biohacker chef Nicolas Zahasky and seminars from expert speakers including Dr Mike T. Nelson.
Each day is filled with activities including the aforementioned cold and heat exposure, but also yoga, functional exercise, cooking classes, meditation and access to the beautiful surrounding lakes.
- Where: Los Angeles, USA
- When: 29 Feb – 1 March 2020
- Speakers: Vishen Lakhiani, Lisa Nichols, Jim Kwik, Michael Breus and more to be announced
- Price: $645 USD (Guest ticket), $345 USD (Mindvalley students), $995 USD VIP
Mindvalley Academy is an online course platform which teaches about self-improvement, mindset, spirituality and more. It also has interesting content for biohackers including a free biohacking course taught by Dave Asprey, and a memory improvement course taught by Jim Kwik.
Mindvalley Live LA was formerly known as Mindvalley Reunion, and is a two day event held in Los Angeles. It brings some of the teachers from Mindvalley together, as well as some surprise guests, for an intense weekend of self-improvement. The event includes presentations, immersive workshops and the opportunity to socialise with other like-minded individuals.
Upgrade Labs 7th Annual Biohacking Conference
- Where: Beverly Hills, California, USA
- When: 27 – 29 March 2020
- Speakers: Dave Asprey, Dr Joseph Mercola, Amy Purdy, Jennifer Partridge, Dr. Harry Adelson, Jim Kwik, Dr Mark Atkinson and more.
- Price: $1199 early bird general admission (normally $1599 USD), $2399 USD early bird preferred seating (normally $2499), $3399 USD early bird VIP (normally $3499 USD)
Bulletproof Coffee’s sister company Upgrade Labs runs an annual biohacking conference with some of the biggest names in the industry. Following on from the success of the 2019 conference, the upcoming 2020 conference has a range of well-respected speakers including Dave Asprey, the founder of Bulletproof 360, Dr. Joseph Mercola and paralympian Amy Purdy.
Last year’s conference saw over 1200 attendees, and some interesting features like a 20 foot “leap of faith” jump and a marching band!
Paleo f(x) 2020
- Where: Austin, Texas, USA
- When: 24 – 26 April 2020
- Speakers: Chris Kresser, Robb Wolf, Dr Sarah Ballantyne, Dr Andy Galpin, Ben Greenfield, Diana Rodgers and more.
- Price: $172 USD (expo), $597 USD (premier), $1477 USD (VIP)
Paleo f(x) is a holistic wellness event bringing some of the biggest names in human optimisation together under one roof.
At the time of writing the schedule for 2020 has not yet been released, but the 2019 schedule included talks on longevity, movement, brain optimisation and biohacks from well known biohackers such as Ben Greenfield.
The 2020 event will also be split into six learning tracks to make it easier to navigate, with the tracks including:
- Paleo 101
- Paleo families
- Anti-aging and longevity
- Paleo medicine
- Health entrepreneurs
The 2020 event also has some new features such as the Health Hacker Lab with the latest biohacking therapies and gadgets for you to try out.
A Mindful Society 2020
- Where: TBA. The 2019 event was held in Toronto, Canada.
- When: 1 – 4 May 2020
- Speakers: TBA. The 2019 event included Thupten Jinpa, Dan Siegel and more
- Price: TBA. 2019 prices were $507.37 CAD (Early bird)
A Mindful Society is a mindfulness conference with academics and industry leaders at the forefront of current mindfulness information. The keynotes for 2019 include Thupten Jinpa, former monk and the Dalai Lama’s principal English translator, and Dan Siegel, clinical professor of psychiatry at UCLA and best selling author of Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation.
The Boulder Carnivore Conference
- Where: Boulder, Colorado, USA
- When: 23 -24 May 2020
- Speakers: TBA. The 2019 event included Shawn Baker, Mikhaila Peterson, Miki Ben-Dor, Peter J. Ballerstedt, George M. Diggs and more.
- Price: TBA. 2019 prices were $125 – $140 USD
For those interested in a plant-free diet, the second annual Boulder Carnivore Conference could be an option to consider.
Last year’s conference included presentations on topics such as how much protein one should consume, defensive chemicals in plants and more. The speakers included appearances by well known carnivore diet proponents including Dr Shawn Baker and Mikhaila Peterson.
- Where: Austin, Texas, USA
- When: 12 – 14 June 2020
- Speakers: TBA. The 2019 event included Dr. Nadir Ali, Cavin Balaster, Dr Ken Berry, Hanna Boethius, Carrie Brown, Dr Colin Champ and much more.
- Price: $159.88 USD (one day ticket), $212.73 USD (three day ticket), $1,046.27 USD (VIP Package)
KetoCon focuses on the cutting edge research and products surrounding the ketogenic diet, including its benefits for those with diabetes, cancer and for those trying to lose weight. There are also plenty of exhibitors at the conference showing all manner of delicious keto snacks and helpful products to make your keto experience more effective.
Primal Hacker Boundary Waters Canoe Digital Detox Retreat
- Where: The Point Retreats, Minnesota
- When: 18 – 22 June 2020
- Speakers: Thaddeus Owen, Christa Rymal and Travis Rymal
- Price: $1200 USD
If you’re aching to unplug from your digital devices the Primal Hacker Digital Detox Retreat might be for you.
This small-group retreat is a 4 night / 5 day adventure where you and the group will camp in the wilderness and enjoy nature without digital distractions.
The retreat is joined by experienced nurse Christa Rymal and navigated by Travis Rymal, who has a degree in forestry and is an experienced wilderness ranger.
- Where: Prater Island, Munich
- When: 4 July 2020
- Speakers: TBA. The 2019 event included Dr Jack Kruse, Dr. Dominik Nischwitz, Lars Amend, Dr. Alexander Wunsch and more.
- Price: €147 early bird basic (normally €247), €247 early bird gold (normally €297), €497 early bird VIP (normally €497)
Flowfest 20’ is an event run by Flowgrade, a German Biohacking store, blog and podcast. The event includes presentations from experts on biohacking, nutrition, functional fitness, psychology, neurofeedback and cold therapy to name a few.
The 2019 event’s speakers included Dr Jack Kruse, Dr. Dominik Nischwitz, author Lars Amend and cold thermogenesis expert Kasper van der Meulen to name a few.
Health Optimisation Summit 2020
- Where: TBA. The 2019 event was in London, UK
- When: 12 – 13 September 2020
- Speakers: TBA. The 2019 event featured Dave Asprey, Bob Troia, Dr Scott Sherr, Harry Adelson, Amy Killen, Dr Andrew Hill, Aubrey de Grey, Siim Land and more.
- Price: Super early bird: £399, VIP: £1,199
The Health Optimisation Summit is a meeting place for ideas to improve your health, wellbeing, nutrition, fitness and more. It’s not just about how one particular method or diet can get you healthier.
The 2019 event explored a variety of ideas from over 30 great speakers on topics including psychedelics, meditation, memory improvement, detoxing, diets, sleep, EMF and light to name a few.
Did I miss any events? Let me know below and I’ll add them to the list.