Where you need to be in 2019 if you’re interested in human optimisation
2019 is promising to be an exciting year for biohackers and those interested in positively affecting their own health, performance, mindset and longevity.
Below are some conferences and events that may be of interest to biohackers, those interested in specific diets including the paleo, ketogenic or carnivore diets, or even just those looking to improve themselves through mindfulness and meditation.
Here are all the most relevant conferences and events to watch out for in 2019, sorted by date:
Table of contents (conferences listed in chronological order)
The Metabolic Health Summit
- Where: Los Angeles, USA
- When: 31 Jan – 3 Feb
- Speakers: Dominic D’Agostino, Mark Sisson, Suzanne Ryan, David Ludwig, Jeff Volek, Aubrey Marcus, Robb Wolf, Thomas Seyfried and more.
- Price: $479.25 USD
The Metabolic Health Summit centers around the ketogenic diet and includes presentations about using the ketogenic diet to treat cancer, cardiovascular issues and more. There’s also a number of talks about human optimisation and athletic performance, including talks from Jeff Volek, Robb Wolf and Dominic D’Agostino.
The Wim Hoff Experience
- Where: Munich (sold out), Amsterdam, Barcelona, London, Reykjavik
- When: 10 Feb (Munich), 16 Feb (Amsterdam), 17 Feb (Barcelona), 23 Feb (London), 18 May (Reykjavik)
- Speakers: Wim Hoff
- Price: 149 – 170 EUR
Wim Hoff is back on tour in 2019 with some announced dates in various European cities. You’ll want to be quick if you’re interested, as Wim’s shows tend to sell out early.
For those who don’t know, Wim Hoff is the creator of the Wim Hoff Method, a three pillar system based on cold therapy, breathwork and commitment. Wim has done some incredible things with his system, including insane cold water swims and other medical feats, so his tour is highly sought-after.
The International Conference on Mindfulness
- Where: Auckland, New Zealand
- When: 9 – 13 February
- Speakers: Craig Hassed, Patricia Jennings, Master Chwasan and more.
- Price: $350 NZD (Day pass), $800 NZD (full conference)
Mindfulness is seen by many as a useful technique for getting more out of life and focusing on the present. The International Conference on Mindfulness is full of presentations linking mindfulness to other topics, such as health, education and mindful eating. Speakers include well-known academics and authors such as Associate Professor Craig Hassed from the University of Monash.
The Boulder Carnivore Conference
- Where: Boulder, Colorado, USA
- When: 7 March
- Speakers: Shawn Baker, Mikhaila Peterson, Miki Ben-Dor, Peter J. Ballerstedt, George M. Diggs and more.
- Price: $125 – $140 USD
For those interested in a plant-free diet, the first ever Boulder Carnivore Conference could be an option to consider. Topics include how much protein one should consume, defensive chemicals in plants and more, and include appearances by well known carnivore diet proponents including Dr Shawn Baker and Mikhaila Peterson.
- Where: Los Angeles, USA
- When: 9 – 10 March
- Speakers: Eric Edmeades, Marisa Peer, Marie Diamond, Dr. Shefali Tsabary
- Price: $445 USD (Quest students), $345 USD (Mentoring Plus Students), $745 USD (Public)
Mindvalley Academy is an online course platform which includes a lot of content about mindset and spirituality, but also some interesting topics for biohackers including a free biohacking course taught by Dave Asprey and a memory improvement course taught by Jim Kwik.
Mindvalley Reunion is a two day event which brings some of the teachers from Mindvalley together, as well as some surprise guests, for an intense weekend of self-improvement.
The 6th Annual Biohacking Conference
- Where: Beverly Hills, California, USA
- When: April 5 -7
- Speakers: Dave Asprey, Dr Joseph Mercola, Dr Dan Siegel, Jim Kwik, Dr Mark Atkinson and more.
- Price: $1497 USD (General admission), $2497 USD (preferred seating), $3497 USD (VIP)
Biohacking industry giant Bulletproof runs its own annual conference with some of the biggest names in the business. This year’s conference has a range of speakers already announced including Dave Asprey, the founder of Bulletproof 360, Dr. Joseph Mercola and more. The 5th Annual Biohacking Conference was positively reviewed by many for its trove of practical tips for better health, so if 2019’s conference follows suit there’ll be plenty to learn.
- Where: 12 – 13 April
- When: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
- Speakers: Mark Sisson, Drew Manning, Ben Greenfield, Robb Wolf, Luis Villasenor, Elle Russ, Tyler Cartwright and more.
- Price: $149 USD (one day pass), $199 USD (two day pass)
FitCon 2019 is both an fitness expo and a conference known as FitCon Summit. The 2019 FitCon Summit includes talks by some of the biggest names in the human optimisation, health and biohacking space. Ben Greenfield will be presenting about how to generate youthful energy, Mark Sisson will be talking about mindset, and Robb Wolf will be presenting about mental clarity.
The expo itself has over 300 exhibitors and a number of competitions including arm wrestling, sumo wrestling, MMA fights and even a medieval combat league!
Paleo f(x) 2019
- Where: Austin, Texas, USA
- When: April 26 – 28
- Speakers: Chris Kresser, Robb Wolf, Dr Sarah Ballantyne, Mark Sisson, Dave Asprey, Ben Greenfield and more.
- Price: $172 USD (expo), $597 USD (premier), $1477 USD (VIP)
Paleo f(x) is a holistic wellness event bringing some of the biggest names in human optimisation together under one roof. At the time of writing the schedule for 2019 has not yet been released, but the 2018 schedule included talks on longevity, movement, brain optimisation and biohacks from well known biohackers such as Ben Greenfield.
A Mindful Society
- Where: Toronto, Canada
- When: 24 – 27 May
- Speakers: Thupten Jinpa, Dan Siegel and more
- Price: $507.37 CAD (Early bird)
A Mindful Society is a mindfulness conference with academics and industry leaders at the forefront of current mindfulness information. The keynotes for 2019 include Thupten Jinpa, former monk and the Dalai Lama’s principal English translator, and Dan Siegel, clinical professor of psychiatry at UCLA and best selling author of Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation.
Mindvalley A-Fest Portugal
- Where: Algarve, Portugal
- When: 30 May – 2 June
- Speakers: Vishen Lakhiani, Tara-Nicholle Nelson, Keith Ferrazzi, Brendan Kane, Shawn Stevenson and Michael Bernard Beckwith.
- Price: From $3,295 to $3,995 USD
A-Fest is Mindvalley Reunion on steroids. This intensive invite-only experience is limited to 350 – 400 spots, and is aimed at high performers including CEOs, entrepreneurs, authors and artists. Previous attendees have included Dave Asprey, Ben Greenfield, JJ Virgin, Dr. Mark Hyman and Tom Bilyeu.
Each A-Fest has a theme, and the content of the conference is then planned around this. Last year’s theme in Sardinia was longevity.
International Evolutionary Health Conference
- Where: London, United Kingdom
- When: 8 June 2019
- Speakers: Michael Crawford PhD, Frits Muskiet PhD, Aseem Malhotra MD, Lynda Frassetto MD, Pedro Carrera Bastos MSc, Darryl Edwards MSc, Emily Deans MD, Daniel Pardi PhD
- Price: £85
The International Evolutionary Health Conference is a full day conference focusing on the role of diet and lifestyle in health and disease. The conference will present the latest science in this field and the talks range in topic from sleep lessons from hunter gatherers, exercise in cancer prevention, low-acid diets and anti-ageing, diet and psychiatric disorders and more.
Primal Hacker retreat
- Where: Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota
- When: 20 – 23 June
- Speakers: Thaddeus Owen
- Price: $1200 USD
The Primal Hacker retreat isn’t a conference, but promises to be an awesome weekend with plenty to learn. The retreat takes place in the wilderness of Minnesota, and includes activities such as canoeing and morning qi-gong. Paleo meals are included, and the retreat is built around the pillars of good sleep, food, water, nature, sunshine, movement, air and tribe. The retreat is led by biohacking expert Thaddeus Owen, who is also running a retreat in July called Fire & Ice, which centers around cold thermogenesis.
The Wellness Show
- Where: Sydney, Australia
- When: 24 – 25 June
- Speakers: Michael Mosley, Professor Elissa Epel, Dr Fred Luskin, Professor Amit Bernstein and more.
- Price: $895 AUD + GST 2 day early bird rate), $1095 AUD + GST (Standard 2 day conference ticket)
The Wellness Show is an annual exhibition and conference that takes place in Sydney, Australia. The exhibition showcases innovations and products from companies specialising in nutrition, fitness, wellness, health and other related fields. The conference for 2019 is “Happiness and its causes” and as the name suggests includes speakers and talks about happiness.
- Where: Austin, Texas, USA
- When: 28 – 30 June
- Speakers: Dr. Nadir Ali, Cavin Balaster, Dr Ken Berry, Hanna Boethius, Carrie Brown, Dr Colin Champ and much more.
- Price: $100 USD (one day ticket), $225 USD (three day ticket), $750 – $1000 USD (VIP Package)
KetoCon focuses on the nitty gritty of the ketogenic diet, including its benefits for those with diabetes, cancer and for those trying to lose weight. There are also plenty of exhibitors at the conference showing all manner of delicious keto snacks and helpful products to make your keto experience more effective.
- Where: Prater Island, Munich
- When: 6 July
- Speakers: Dr Jack Kruse, Dr. Dominik Nischwitz, Patrick Meinart, Lars Amend, Dr. Simone Koch, Mattias Ribbing, Dr. Alexander Wish and Kasper van der Meulen.
- Price: 147 EUR (early bird basic), 247 EUR (early bird gold), 397 EUR (early bird VIP)
Flowfest 19’ is an event run by Flowgrade, a German Biohacking store, blog and podcast. The event includes presentations from experts on biohacking, nutrition, functional fitness, psychology, neurofeedback and cold therapy to name a few.
Health Optimisation Summit 2019
- Where: London, UK
- When: 14 – 15 September 2019
- Speakers: Dave Asprey, Bob Troia, Dr Scott Sherr, Harry Adelson, Amy Killen, Dr Andrew Hill, Aubrey de Grey, Siim Land and more.
- Price: Super early bird: £399, early bird: £499, standard: £599, VIP: £999
The Health Optimisation Summit is a meeting place for ideas to improve your health, wellbeing, nutrition, fitness and more. It’s not just about how one particular method or diet can get you healthier. Rather it delves into a variety of ideas from over 30 great speakers on topics including psychedelics, meditation, memory improvement, detoxing, diets, sleep, EMF and light to name a few. More information is yet to be announced but so far this seems like a great event for biohackers living in or interested in travelling to the UK. There will also be an exhibitors area with over 70 product stalls for those interested in upcoming health optimisation trends.
- Where: Helsinki, Finland
- When: 1 – 2 November 2019
- Speakers: Max Lugavere, Teemu Arina, Jaakko Halmetoja, Dr. Olli Sovijärvi, Tunna Milonoff and Riku Rantala from Madventures and more
- Price: Early bird €247 (available until sold out or 30 June) , regular €497, VIP €997, students €97 (discounts available when buying multiple tickets), live stream €97
The 2019 Biohacker Summit is being held in beautiful Helsinki and promises 40+ speakers covering topics such as sleep, daily habits, cognitive performance, nootropics and plenty more. Some of the announced speakers include journalist and author Max Lugavere, and the authors of Biohacker’s Handbook: Teemu Arina, Jaakko Halmetoja and Dr. Olli Sovijärvi. There will also be book launches, exhibitions and traditional Finnish sauna workshops.
The Biohacker Summit conferences of 2018 were great events for European biohackers, so 2019’s Summit is sure to be a worthwhile event.
Another great feature of this conference is that the live stream is available for purchase separately if you can’t make it in person.
Did I miss any events? Let me know below and I’ll add them to the list.